Thursday, March 18, 2010

Drama

I acted in a friend's short play for his play writing class a few days ago. I read/acted before his classmates in this short-play festival. My friend's play was last, so I got to sit and enjoy his classmates' plays. It was an interesting experience. There were some good short plays, others were a little long, and some were read oddly. There was a really dramatic one that was ruined for me by the way it was read. The "actors" read their lines in a way that made for more comedy than tragedy. After intermission, I just faded out and didn't really pay attention. I started thinking about writing something of my own, and the skeleton of this monologue just popped into my thoughts. Tell me what you think.

"It was a rush, a euphoria, a pure ecstasy I had never encountered before. I tried it before, but the previous times left me unsatisfied and wondering what everyone raved about. But then it finally happened. I couldn't believe it. It was absolutely wonderful. My heart raced. My knuckles clenched. My eyes rolled back. I was drunk on the feeling. I didn't want it to stop. But all good things come to an end, right? I keep trying to reach that experience, but I never can reach that intense rush. Every time I try, I just end unfulfilled and hating myself because I let that feeling end. I let that feeling escape. Nothing else does it for me. That time was something more. You didn't just fuck me like everyone else; you made love to me. You made me feel that I was the only person who mattered to you. Or was it all just in my mind, and you really did just fuck me, in more ways than one?"

No comments: