Sunday, April 11, 2010

Metropolis

No, this isn't about Superman. It's about the animated adaptation of Fritz Lang's silent masterpiece, Metropolis. You should all watch it - I just did. It was based loosely off a combination of the Fritz Lang silent film and the Osamu Tezuka manga of the same name. For those of my readers who aren't as anime nerdy as I am, Tezuka is the creative mind behind Astro Boy and is sometimes considered the Japanese Walt Disney. The film is beautifully animated and poignant. It shows the complex relationship between humans and robots, the nature of mankind, and the possibility of robot sentience, all to a wonderful soundtrack of New Orleans jazz and Ray Charles singing, "I Can't Stop Loving You." Here is the climactic scene from the film.



And also, check out my friend Tony's blog! It's called Neat Stuff Found in Used Books.

No comments: