Friday, October 23, 2009

The Hostage

I went and saw The Hostage tonight with my friend Lisa. It's a really crazy play, set in the 50s, and revolving around a whorehouse where an English soldier is held captive by Irish nationalists in order to win the release of an IRA soldier. It was a fascinating play, absolutely captivating (wink). At times it was very busy with many things going on. The set was amazing. There were two floors, and it was so richly detailed. There were some hit or miss actors, but overall the cast was fantastic with familiar faces from the shows I saw last year. I had to see it for class, but I would have gone anyways. I do love the theater. The best part was that they all had accents (some better than others), and because I found the British chap to have the best accent, I started speaking with a little accent after the second intermission. It was a long play, but it definitely held my attention. The weirdest part though, was every now and then they had a song. They were all pretty good singers, but the songs were odd, and I found them distracting. A few here and there for comical effect would have been grand, but the constant song breaks started to get on my nerves. Then the play ended on a song which really annoyed me. It wasn't a musical. At least I don't think it was...I'll check wikipedia.

No comments: