Thursday, September 3, 2009

Brotherhood

Be aware everyone, here is the Anime nerd coming out in me. I just watched the first two episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, the OVA series to one of my all time favourite Anime series. I already see discrepencies, and so far 21 episodes have already aired. The episodes I have watched so far, and the preview of episode 3, all seem to be a retelling of the original series. I'm not sure how I feel about this. But I seem to have some explaining to do. OVA means Original Video Animation, and depending on the series, can be one of several things. There is the manga-faithful OVA, the "not enough source material to make a series" OVA, and the anime series movie OVA. Brotherhood seems to be taking the route of a more manga-faithful OVA series, which I don't think I'm going to like. I'm not much of a manga nerd, but I tried to read some of the later Fullmetal Alchemist mangas, and they just had what seemed to me as pointless characters and filler side plots. I'll continue watching for now, and will most likely finish it even if it irritates me. But for those of you who like Anime and have not watched the original Fullmetal Alchemist series, do so. It is a fantastic series with top quality animation and plot. And after that, watch the film Conqueror of Shamballa. It is the actual end to the series, though still very open-ended.

No comments: