Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Pianist

I just finished watching The Pianist for the third time. This film is incredibly sad, but yet incredibly beautiful. I can't stand watching people being shot in films. This summer at a 90s theme party at Kenny's, we were watching Saving Private Ryan, and I just couldn't handle it. The graphic instant death...it just sends chills down my spine. I need a hug after watching it, even though the beautiful piano solo during the end credits calms me down. The worst part of the film though is when he doesn't get to help the German officer who helped him. The poor officer ended up dying in a Soviet labor camp in 1952, while Szpilman lived until the year 2000. War is such a terrible thing. We're told that history is doomed to repeat itself. Then why is nothing ever done to prevent history from repeating itself? It's plain to see the conditions that start wars and genocides. I'm sorry for preaching, but I always wish I could scream loud enough for the people in the film to hear me warning them, thereby saving them. A man can dream...

No comments: