Saturday, July 5, 2008

Connecticut, Day 4

Yesterday was July 4th, otherwise know as Independence Day in the United States of America.  So what was I, like any good American (even though we are United States Citizens like our passports say), to do?  Why shoot fire into the sky and be deafened by the resulting explosion of light and loudness.  Now I'm not unpatriotic, I just think the U.S. is a stupid place filled with only a small percentage of smart people.  Unfortunately, most of the smart people aren't involved in the government (which is good for them, but bad for us).  I must get back to what I did because I could fill the whole page with my feelings on the U.S. and any subsequent related topics that I may tangent off into (like my desire to move to Europe, but have a beautiful loft in New York City for when I wanted to visit the motherland).  What did I do yesterday?  I'm not sure I quite remember.  I read a little bit of A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce.  It's somewhat biofiction.  I think I should coin that term.  It can be applied to a lot of things like Night by Elie Wiesel, or 30 Rock my favourite television show.  My Aunt Betty and Uncle Tom left for their home yesterday, and then my cousin Andrew came in from the city.  Andrew is a really cool person.  He's really smart and has a great personality.  He's working for CBS as an intern and rarely gets time off.  He rents an apartment in the city from his parents who own it for my Uncle Victor (who sometimes has to sleep in the city because of his work).  I had the most delicious soup from Chef's Table, one of my favourite restaurants in Fairfield, CT.  It was called Mulligatawny, and it was filled with deliciousness.  I love soup so much that I could live on it.  It can every food group in it.  You can eat it ate every meal (Miso soup is technically for breakfast).  It's just wonderful, and I don't understand why a lot of people aren't really into soup.  If I can't find a writing position in a newspaper, I would love to be a food critic so then I can taste every restaurant's soups.  Also, if I become successful enough to a point where I can retire and be set for life, then I would like to open a cafe that serves only soup, and open it near a college with really cheap prices and delicious food so all the students and faculty will eat there for lunch or dinner.  Anyways, yesterday was pretty much a relaxing day since it was really cloudy.  We sat on the beach for a while until we thought it was going to rain.  The fireworks were pretty nice, but there were so many I didn't know where to look.  Everyone was shooting off expensive fireworks not to far from us.  It was very calming, but it felt very surreal.  I wanted that moment to freeze in time, so I could sit on the beach and listen to the waves with my family forever while fireworks lit up the sky.  I kind of don't want to go to college.  I don't want to worry about money and taxes, getting a job, creating a family.  I wish I could freeze time so I could enjoy summer forever and never become an adult.  I don't care if I don't make money to buy material possessions.  I just want to enjoy life.  I don't think we were put on this planet, or were a scientific accident, just so we could create society, technology, cities, and responsibilities.  I think we were put on earth to enjoy life, to build beautiful cities and then enjoy them without worrying about economies and oil for cars.  Maybe I'm just a little nervous about going to college.  I don't know.

No comments: