Monday, July 21, 2008

Party at Joe's!

Yesterday was a very nice calm day. I wanted to go to my friend Joe's graduation party, but I had no way there. Luckily, my friend Alex lives on the west side and Joe lives in Chardon, so I'm right in the middle. I jumped online to ask Alex for a ride, and after several moments of uncertainty, he finally managed to make room for me in his dad's car. To make it easier on them, I walked to the library which they know how to get to. I had some books to drop off, and then I went to sit on the bench, but a guy was sleeping on it, so I went and sat in the shade. Eventually I got up to see if he had gone, only to find he had moved to sleeping under the tree. So I took the opportunity, and sat on the bench. The Colemans arrived, and away we went to Joe's house. It was a nice ride. I started reading the Wanted graphic novel, which is, apparently, totally different from the movie. We arrived at Joe's house, said hello, met some of his rich Hawken friends, and dived into the food. The burgers were delicious, and there was kiwi in the fruit salad, yummy. It was a very relaxing party. I watched people play cornhole (I suck at it), played Super Mario Galaxy with Alex, inspected the numerous paintings and photographs that Joe's father had done, and ended the party playing Super Smash Brothers Brawl. I said goodbye to Joe, and rode back with Alex. I couldn't believe it when Alex instantly plugged his laptop into his mother's Prius. His reliance on technology is a little too much, but it made me think how we are moving towards that. If I have a laptop, I'm supposed to bring it to my orientation because registering for classes is done all online now. It's frightening how the world is progressing towards complete technological dependence. Someone will ask, "What's the weather today?" and everyone will instantly Google 411 instead of just looking outside the window or checking the paper. It will be like Futurama, where they have robots writing for and acting in shows. We might even have robotic trees that are able to photosynthesize better than actual trees (which I'm pretty sure is impossible).

No comments: