Friday, July 11, 2008

A Movie, Chinese, and Arabica

Today, I was awakened to watch my sisters (surprise). Thankfully, they were up in their room, so I was able to watch movies on IFC. I watched Millions, a cute little British movie, and this really odd movie called The Bee Season. It was this really strange movie about this girl with an unnatural talent for spelling and her crazy, religiously messed up family. The father was a professor of Kabbalah (spelling?), the mother would sneak into people's houses and steel shiny objects for this giant display in a warehouse that she made because of some philosophy in Kabbalah about bringing together broken pieces and light, and the son was having a religious breakdown and became a Buddhist or a Hindu, the movie wasn't quite clear on that one. Then the father became obsessed with his daughter's ability and was talking about how this ancient mystic, essentially a Kabbalah priest, thought you could reach god through the permutation of words, rearranging the letters into every possible combination even if they aren't real words. So anyways, the girl went all the way to nationals, and then when she had origami, (not a final round word, and I know seeing as I have watched the Scripps Annual Spelling Bee several times), to decide the win, she purposely misspelled it for some reason, and the night before that had a seizure when she was permuting words to commune with God. It was a messed up movie. The father was insane, the son hated his father, the mother was in a mental institution after being finally caught in someone's house, and the daughter was stupid and lost on the easiest final word. Also, the little girl looked kind of like this girl I know, Sarah Taylor. It was really weird. Then I had Chinese from First Wok for dinner, and then went to Arabica on 185th Street. I got a Nantucket Nectar Lemonade, and it was good. David, Nick, Ben, and I sat in the nice little alcove and had fun talking loudly over the very loud Jesus rock band, as Nick put it. Nick jokingly thought about going over there and saying, "I am here my child," and then doing a religious pose to see if she would faint. Oh Nick.

No comments: