Friday, July 18, 2008

A Dark Night

This technically includes early this morning, but I consider the end of my day when I fall asleep. Alright, so this started yesterday morning, I woke up early, as usual, to watch my annoying sisters. Thankfully, I escaped to Tom's house for mini games, and, sadly, no roleplaying. We went from 12-4. We started with Caylus, which I placed second in, and then played Settlers of Catan. It was amazing. I had a settlement on a six brick and an eight wood, and the other numbers weren't that good. It was great because I instantly leaped into longest road as I made my way to a wood port (next to the 8 was a 3 and 10 wood, not that great, but good for a wood monopoly). Wood was one of the rarest resources too, so I could milk everyone for more than one resource. I built almost all my roads, five settlements, and one city in the midst of my wood, and finally won after developing several times to get a victory point card. I finally won a real life game of Settlers of Catan against my friends. It was great. Then I won at Bang!, a Wild West card game in Italian. Then Joe, my "not Jewish" friend from Hawken, dropped me off at home, where I looked at the Coventry Village website for more details on the Coventry Street Arts Fair which Alex reminded me of at Tom's. Justin and I went, stopping at Tommy's, American Apparel, and the head shops. Tommy's didn't have a Lemon Lime Ginseng Up and never called Justin's name when they finished his milkshake. We met Matthew P. Childers at American Apparel, his place of employment, and Justin and I chatted about the perverse advertisements and the overpriced articles of clothing. $44.00 for a track jacket! Outrageous! Just because it's American made and they pay their workers well doesn't mean they have to charge that much. Plus, they are just a basic clothing store. Most of the money they make has to be from selling template shirts. I see a lot of band shirts made on American Apparel tees. After a very disappointing Coventry Street Fair, Justin and I returned to Euclid, and I waited to leave for the midnight showing of The Dark Knight. I walked to Kenny's street where I met up with him, Justin, and Nick. Then we walked to Lakeshore 7 theater where we met with the rest of our friends. The movie was great, no it was amazing. Heath Ledger's Joker was spot on, perfectly maniacal and crazed. Christian Bale was pretty good, though I thought his Batman voice was kind of funny. Maggie Gyllenhaal was great as Rachel. I loved Alfred the butler and Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox, Bruce Wayne's accomplices. It was a great movie. After waiting until the end of the credits, like any good nerd, I left on foot for my home, alone seeing as Kenny and Justin booked it out of there, most likely to smoke some more hashish, ganja, mary jane, whatever you want to call it. Nevertheless, I enjoyed my quiet walk home in the moonlight. It was a clear night and the moon was pretty much full. I had an interesting contemplation on meaning, purpose, and this constant impatience I see in a lot of people. I again contemplated death, something I do a lot when I'm alone. I wondered how many of my friends are actually resigned to death, and what their respective beliefs are regarding death. I wondered if the ones who do not believe in a deity of some sort, will have an existential crisis at some time in their life. I've had an existential crisis, oh, since maybe seventh grade, which I think is when my cynicism took root also. I don't know. Hopefully college will help me find whatever it is I'm looking for.

No comments: