Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Movies and Mary Jane

Don't worry, I did not smoke marijuana again, but we'll get to that later. As usual, I don't do anything until the evening. I asked a handful of people to go see Reprise with me at Cedar Lee yesterday, but it ended up only being Kenny, Justin, and I. Apparently, Kenny is wasting all his paychecks on weed which he seems to be smoking constantly (he admitted to smoking all day Saturday on the ride back, but that comes later also). I walked to Kenny's house, was intercepted by Justin halfway down the street, and went up to Kenny's room. Everything was completely moved around and it was clean, only the second time I've ever seen it clean. Kenny was sitting at his new laptop with a bong placed on the desk next to him. Justin took a hit and we were off. But Kenny's smoking didn't stop at his house. He brought his bowl with him in the car and would duck down to light it. At one point, Justin tried to hit it while driving, but Kenny was having a little trouble lighting it and I was scared we were going to crash, but eventually he lit the bowl. We arrived at the theater, Kenny heavily high, Justin only slightly, bought our tickets, got our free popcorn (I upgraded for a dollar more), and sat down. Kenny finished his popcorn really fast and was so excited to see that I had bought a bigger thing of popcorn, so I happily gave him some of mine. I thought Reprise was going to be in English, but it was Norwegian with English subtitles. Nevertheless, it was a wonderful movie. It was the tale of two young writers and best friends who submit their novels at the same time, one getting published, the other rejected. It follows the published one's recovery after his psychotic breakdown apparently caused by his obsessive relationship with his girlfriend Kari. The rejected one reworks his novel and finally gets published, receiving mixed reviews. The film's story is told through flashbacks and "what if scenarios" through the use of an omniscient narrator, much like the French film Amelie, but much darker. A beautifully sad film, told eloquently and effectively, Reprise takes the audience through a rollercoaster of emotions, irony, and seemingly disjointed moments. Kenny and Justin were a little confused by the movie, but I found it easy to understand. Of course, I wasn't high. The ride home was calm, and again I found myself thinking, which I also do when I am alone in the backseat. I listened to Justin and Kenny's conversation about smoking weed in the future and telling their kids about how they were burnouts. It made me think how the future is so unpredictable, how I have done nothing worthwhile in my life (brought about by Joe's graduation party, where I wished I had been rich or gone to a well off school), and how I haven't found myself. I don't know. Maybe I just like to think. I seem to end with "I don't know" a lot.

1 comment:

a little heirloom. said...

i hope you enjoyed reprise!
and i'm sorry about the trip there.
even though you told me all this before i read it.
i thought i'd read your blog by myself and leave you a comment about it.